96 Taurus, trunk won't stay open

Threaded View

My daughter has a 1996 Ford Taurus and the trunk on her car won't stay
open. It's not too bad on level ground, but if back end of the car is
tilted at all it constantly drops and hits us in the head. Kind of hard to
unload groceries when you're fighting the trunk lid.

I looked at the spring rods briefly and it appears they are hooked
correctly on each end, so I'm not sure if there's any way to adjust the
tension that holds the lid open?

Anthony

Re: 96 Taurus, trunk won't stay open

 you probably need to replace those rods that hold it open.its that
simple.lucas

Re: 96 Taurus, trunk won't stay open

Most likely, the gas charged cylinders have leaked out. Only fix is to replace
them.

Re: 96 Taurus, trunk won't stay open

Most likely the problem is the spring rods. Probably because the 96
Taurus does not have gas charged cylinders.
The spring rods act like torsion bars and they have become unhooked or
the "spring" has gone out of them.

Re: 96 Taurus, trunk won't stay open

snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com says...

Are there multiple 'hooks' for the rods? If so, you may want to try
another hook to see if it gives more torque to hold up the trunklid.

law!!
Re: 96 Taurus, trunk won't stay open

I think there is one more set of hooks higher up. I may give that a try.
Otherwise, I guess I'll have to replace them.

Are those springs under much tension? I don't want to THWAPP myself in the
face or something. :)

Anthony

Re: 96 Taurus, trunk won't stay open

snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com says...

Have somebody hold the trunk fully open, which will keep the pressure to
a minimum. I've never moved them myself, so all I can say is be careful.
Just get a good grip and slowly push it out of the slot.

law!!
Re: 96 Taurus, trunk won't stay open

My old 83 Mustang had multiple spots that the rod ends hooked into if
you need to change the setting.
Fred