96 Taurus, trunk won't stay open

My daughter has a 1996 Ford Taurus and the trunk on her car won't stay open. It's not too bad on level ground, but if back end of the car is tilted at all it constantly drops and hits us in the head. Kind of hard to unload groceries when you're fighting the trunk lid.

I looked at the spring rods briefly and it appears they are hooked correctly on each end, so I'm not sure if there's any way to adjust the tension that holds the lid open?

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

you probably need to replace those rods that hold it open.its that simple.lucas

ds549

Most likely, the gas charged cylinders have leaked out. Only fix is to replace them.

Reply to
Shawn

Most likely the problem is the spring rods. Probably because the 96 Taurus does not have gas charged cylinders. The spring rods act like torsion bars and they have become unhooked or the "spring" has gone out of them.

Reply to
Kruse

Are there multiple 'hooks' for the rods? If so, you may want to try another hook to see if it gives more torque to hold up the trunklid.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

My old 83 Mustang had multiple spots that the rod ends hooked into if you need to change the setting. Fred

Reply to
Fred

I think there is one more set of hooks higher up. I may give that a try. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to replace them.

Are those springs under much tension? I don't want to THWAPP myself in the face or something. :)

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Have somebody hold the trunk fully open, which will keep the pressure to a minimum. I've never moved them myself, so all I can say is be careful. Just get a good grip and slowly push it out of the slot.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann