96 Taurus - what is this?

What is this "box" leading into my fan? It almost seems like it's some sort of aftermarket item.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d39/BrocktonBarry/carfan-1.jpg

--
-Barry

Be my friend!
Oops - been a long day.....I meant that it's a '95 Taurus, 3.0.

I rarely work on cars - but this appears to be a thermal limiter that was part of an early recall involving some model lines with electric cooling fans. If you look closely, you should see a Ford part number on the assembly.

"Screw E'm..Still A Tony Fan" wrote

Ballast resistor or relay of some kind?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Ford-Mustang-GT-Radiator-fan-sensor-Relay-Thermo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33602QQi temZ8060199997QQrdZ1
F5DA-14A411-AA 333-1