96 Windstar 3.8 v6 Pinging problem.

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I woild like to know how would I get this pinging out of my van? Do all Ford 3.8 have this problem? How to fix this ? Thanks Dave.

69GT4spdtrac-loc opined in

start with cleaning the MAF
www.tccoa.com

Hi could you tell me how to clean MAF?
If this does not work what else should be done? Thanks Dave

Thanks I went to the site and did the cleaning. Its still does it. The filter is new and clean is there something eles to be done? I do not get a check engine light on. Thanks Dave.
I have found that most modern gasoline vehicles ping during moderate acceleration, especially in summer. I think it has something to do with the summer fuel. My '93 with the 3.8 does it and my '95 with the 4.6 does too. Is it severe or just light during acceleration? Oh, they used to call it "the ping of economy".
PoD

all
For a good start, clean the MAF sensor and replace the fuel filter.

Thank you I will try the fuel filter. What about the fuel pump would this cause pinging? Cam position sensor? How is this setup anyone know?

Do
Do you ever get a check engine light?

No check engine light. Just pinging and no power. I did change the fuel filter as well cleaned the MAF. still the same

Check to see if its overheating...Does it have a temp gauge? How long since your last tune up? If its been 25K or more it would be a very good idea to throw some plugs in it. Does it miss/vibrate at all?
69GT4spdtrac-loc wrote:

I have a question (maybe a dumb one). On my newsreader I show a half an hour between the time that you asked how to clean the MAF and the time you said you had done it. Cleaning the MAF did magic for my T-Bird but I had to buy a special non-tamper tool (auto parts store) and some special cleaning fluid with a brush attached (radio shack). Then it only took me about 15 minutes but that didn't include studying the instructions and pictures. Are you sure you did it correctly?
Frank

Another way to check it is to unplug it and go for a ride....
Umm, I think the car will die about as soon as you unplug the MAF...
PoD

fuel

an
but
Hi, the Engine did not die when pulled off. It still pinged. Could a weak fuel pump cause pinging? Thanks Dave.

the
half
time
Yes it can.....
Did it run any differently at all?
PoD

Yes a little sluggish due to the air flow not beeing sensored.

Unplug the sensor, fire it up, it will go into "limp in mode" and if the sensor is bad the car will actually run better. If you unplugged the sensor while it was running it might die but it will start back up. The computer will see the sensor isnt working and set a value to it so it will run... p.s. never plug a sensor IN while the key is on, it could damage the computer.
well "duh" on me. I forgot about "limp mode" - now it all makes sense...
PoD

sensor
Paul of Dayton wrote:

Why do you think that? For most cars I know, unplugging the MAF causes them to drop back into a mode similar to the older speed density systems that didn't use a MAF. I know for certain (all?) GM cars this was part of the MAF diagnostic procedure. If you unplugged the MAF and the car ran better, then the MAF was bad. The PCm includes enough programming to be able to run the car with certain sensors malfunctioning. The PCM can figure out how much fuel to inject based on the throttle position, the manifold pressure and the engine rpm. It can then refine this based on the O2 sensor output. The MAF just provides one more input that allows for better response and a much better initial "guess." If the MAF is bad, it can confuse the PCM causing problems.
Regards,
Ed White