96 Windstar 3.8 v6 Pinging problem.

Page 2 of 2

Well now the dam thing tries to stumble at idle Man this is pissing me off. Still no engine light. Any help is appreciated. thanks Dave.

off.
Get the fuel pressure checked. Still no CEL light?
.

Still no check engine light. I have the feeing the fuel pump might be goig I will check the pressure and post back.
Stop using '87 Fuel. It could be too late for you.
Low octane fuel can cause this "ping" and many other types of engine damage.
I don't care what the owners manual says, use a higher octane.
Robin AndrePont wrote:

Using higher octane fuel will cause carbon build-up in the engine and increase pinging. Using higher octane fuel than what it is designed for is a waste of money and causes more problems.
Sean
After all of the basics have been checked and found to be ok, i.e. fuel supply, ignition system, MAF, computer control system and EGR valve and control, your problem will most likely be due to clogged EGR ports in the intake manifold. These ports clog with carbon and restrict the flow of EGR gas which will cause higher combustion chamber temperatures and can result in spark knock. Ford has several TSBs on this subject and if you do a little searching you should be able to find them.