96 Windstar Whining grinding noise

My van started making a loud whining,grinding noise. It sounds like it's coming from the alternator or pwr steering but I can't tell which.pwr steering fluid level is good no warning lights?Thanks
96 windstar 3.8
I've had three alternators cause that same symptom on my 98 Windstar 3.8 in six months. I would be suspicious of that and check it closely for output and bearing noise. Most likely it's the alternator.
BLimey