97 Aerostar won't start when cold

My 97 Aerostar 3.0L has developed a wierd problem. When it is cold (below

-10 degC) it will not start. When I turn the key on, I hear the fuel pump relay click but do not hear the fuel pump. Also the light for the overdrive displays off. At first I thought the gas line was frozen but that isn't the problem. If I plug the block heater in for a couple of hours, it will start right up. Also the off light for the overdrive is not on and of course I hear the fuel pump when the key is first turned on.

Any ideas what might be causing this? It runs great after it starts.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Ron2_1

Now the thing won't start even with plugging it in. On other thing I notice is the check engine light does not come on when the key is first turned on and when a code reader is attached no codes are displayed.

Reply to
Ron2_1

Does the engine even turn over?

Reply to
GMach3

Yes the engine turns over no problem

Reply to
Ron2_1

I had a similar problem with intermintent failure with starting. what i found was a little electrical connector (black 90 degree) under the hood on the driver side wall close to the windsheild was slightly rusted. I simply sanded off the rust,put a little WD40 and slightly crimped it to prevent it from vibrating loose. Since then my aerostar has started every time in all weather. I wish i could find another new 97, would buy it instantly! Hope this works for you..

ALD

Reply to
ALD

Found the problem Was the Air Intake Temperature Sensor. Seems to be ok now after changing that. I have to agree witn you Dale. It has been excellent and I would not hesitate on purchasing another

Reply to
Ron2_1