97 Escort's fuel gauge goes down when car is off...HELP

usually when i turn my car off, i come back minutes later and the fuel gauge goes down, very noticably. As every driver by now knows, gas seems to cost more than groceries. Please help me, thanks

When you drive, the fuel sloshes around, making accurate measurement difficult. To counteract this, the fuel gauge will react to change very slowly. As you drive, a higher peak level is seen. After car is off, a new lower level will be displayed and the fuel is not sloshing around. I have seen this same thing in several cars.
-Kent
Now when I turn the key off on the Granada/Sovereign/PTCruiser the fuel guages all read zero after a few minutes.
Are you actually expecting a reading all the time? if so then maybe the alternator is overcharging or the battery is getting tired. As long as it ain't leaking and you're not losing fuel then it's not costing you owt

more foctard advice
you retard there is an anti slosh module
it is prolly a normal condition
hurc ast
now lemme guess hurc arse,,,
you're a teenager who's just learned which way a spanner works and now you know it all?
yeah, right,
troll
bye

no spanner here u foctard
the queen sucks too
hurc ast
When you turn off the key, the power is disconnected to the gauges and the gauge will fall to empty.

thanks for the help, although still nothing changes