97 Escort steering wheel lock - cannot free.

My key has ceased to operate the lock.Thinking worn key might be problem a new key from Ford dealer cut buy this can only be 'activated'? by being used to switch on ignition first which of course can only be done after
lock first freed! Advice on next course of action please. Any tricks of trade to free steering wheel without key? How do thieves manage?
hiya,
Will the new key not work in the lock? Does the key have a chip in it as part of the immobiliser? if not then drill the 'shear' bolts and fit another lock from a breakers.
If the key's chipped the thieving tw@s steal the keys from your house, if not they just prise the lock off with a bit of steam pipe and drive away.
Many thanks pottsy. I now have a new problem even though the steering was permanently locked.This was overcome by removing the ignition switch and giving the steering lock shaft a sharp tap.It would appear that the underlining fault is the barrel of the lock as sometimes the shaft does not move with the key and not at all with the ignition switch in situ. Can the barrel be withdrawn from its housing to be lubricated then replaced? Haynes' talks about depressing a plunger to release the barrel but this has so far eluded me as I have no plunger.Could the barrel be prised out gently with diametrically opposed screwdrivers?
send me your email address and I'll send you Ford's instructions on ignition lock replacement. roberttmcfadden[AT]hotmail[dot]com