'97 Escort Transmission

Can anyone tell me how to check if the torque converter is locking up and staying locked.
My mileage has gone down significantly (was 30+, now 25MPG) and while on the
road, a very slight movement of the gas pedal increases the RPM's. The engine load is changed much but I don't know if this is normal or not.
The dealer checked the computer and can't find any codes. Without a computer code, there isn't a problem. My warranty runs out in 600 miles.
Paul Phoenix, AZ
Watch your tachometer. When it engages the rpm will drop.At a constant speed the rpm should remain constant. If you do`nt have a tach try to listen to the engine tone. If the lockup disengages quickly you should be able to feel it. Your poor gas mileage could be due to fouled plugs or injectors .Try changing the plugs and use some injector cleaner.No codes does not mean no problem.Have the car assessed somewhere else and go for a test drive with the mechanic. Paul Blomberg wrote:

Use your OBD II power. Hook up a computer and the car will tell you exactly when it's shifting, the coolant temp, the RPM, etc. etc. Check it out.
Patrick

speed the

engine
Your poor