'97 Expedition makes clunking/grinding sound when wheel is turned while moving

I have a '97 expedition with about 130k miles. Just replaced top and botton ball joints and idler-arm. Because the steering was loose and I was getting a
grinding / clunking noise while turning.
Replacing the ball joints fixed the loose steering, but the grinding / clunking noise is still there. I can especially feel it when trying to turn a corner from a stop. Kind of a thump thump thump noise. I've also noticed that the general ride is rougher than it used to be as well.
Anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

Sounds like a wheel bearing. The thump would occur every other revolution of the tire. Worse on hard turns.
--
---
On 12 May 2005 08:08:11 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@chartermi.net"

ya your problem is in the diff a little bit of axle wind up are you in 4x4 on pavement i would call it normal ya foctard lmfao hurc ast
nope, not in 4x4. I'm finding the ride is getting more and more rough as well. Wondering if it's time to replace the shocks. 140k miles or so, and these are probably still the orig. ones. How do I tell if they need to be replaced... also, what to look for in the diff? I'd prefer to fix as much of it as possible myself, rather than pay a lot to a garage.

==IOf you can afford the gas for that then you should be able to afford to get it repaired. LOL

" snipped-for-privacy@chartermi.net" wrote:

Are you driving with the vehicle in the A4WD mode, or the 2WD mode? Is the noise different if you shift to the 4WD High mode? Have you checked the front CV jonts? How about the brake pads? Wheel bearings?
Regards,
Ed White
I'm driving in 2wd mode. Haven't tried 4wd high yet. Brake pads are fairly new. As I said I just replaced upper/lower ball joints and tie rod ends. The mechanic didn't say anything about CV joints... though that could have been my fault as well. Is there an easy way I can check them myself? I have no problem paying a garage to fix it if I cannot easily do it myself, I just want to have a good idea of what needs to be done before I take it in.
I have a similar problem with my 94 Explorer. After I'm stopped and I turn a corner I hear a rubbing/grinding noise and it feels like it is coming from right under my seat.
Does anybody have any clues?

Just bit the bullet and took my rig into the shop. They found a rear axle seal that was leaking. They're scheduled to replace the seal, bearings and maybe the axle shaft next week (won't know about the shaft until they pull it and inspect it). Took them a while to find it --- definately wasn't the CV joints though.
Finally got it all fixed. I had 2 problems that were causing the noise. One was a rear axle seal that was leaking, so they replaced the bearings and the seal. The second was that the springs on either side of the clutch pack in the differential were cracked all the way through. Both have been replaced and no more grinding noise!!