97 Explorer keyless entry

Just bought a 97 explorer. Previous owner did not have code for keyless entry. Anyone know how I go about decoding ?

Thanks Houtex

Reply to
Houtex

1: Trial and error. There are only 5 real keys (1 and 2 are the same, 3 and 4 the same, etc..), so there aren't TOO many possibilities. Over a few days or weeks, you could work it out. 2: The code is supposed to be printed on a label somewhere. On cars, it's often on the bottom of the trunklid or near there. On a '99 Taurus, I found it on a module next to the brake pedal.
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I have a 1996 sport model. The factory code comes in two places. One on a credit card looking card with the number on it. The other is on a main control box which has the factory code sticker on it as well. Look at the rear panel where the jack is located. You should find a gray or black box there should be a sticker on it with 5 numbers on it. You may have to look way inside the panel in the direction of the drivers seat use a flashlight to see it if needed. once you find that number you can add a personal code but cannot change the factory number the ford manual will tell you how. If you do not have the manual that came with the vehicle I have it in PDF format if you need it. Or you can take it to ford and they will charge to put it on the computer to tell you what the combo is and how to change it.

Reply to
Krusty News Groups