97 Explorer OBD-II O2 Sensor

My Check Engine Light is on and the OBD-II reads out as PO141- O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2). I have a couple of questions about this.

1--- Is the PO141 code a pretty simple and straightforward sensor replacement or do I need to be cautious about this?

I have read so many Check Engine Light horror stories about dealers racking customers over the coals by selling them unnecessary, expensive parts or having to return repeatedly to finally get the right one replaced.

2--- Is this something that I could have reliably done at a local shop instead of a dealer (at a substantial cost savings)??

Thanks, Lar

Reply to
Larry B

Larry B opined in news:N7V5d.450$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I'm just replying so that there's some early input. I havent dealt with that BUT the system sees a problem with the heater current to that sensor... ie - is none.

That could mean a broken wire, bad connection or a failed heater element in the O2 sensor.. this wont adversely affect your car's operation in the short term, Sensor 1 is the primary mixture control.

As to where to go to have it fixed, good luck. Word of mouth references in this case are best.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for your input. I will start asking friends for recommendations for a mechanic.

Though this particular code will not be bad for the car in the short term, I will be selling the car soon, so it must be resolved anyway. Your comment "That could mean a broken wire, bad connection or a failed heater element in the O2 sensor" is exactly where my fears of dealer-greed come to play. Thanks again, Lar .

Reply to
Larry B

You might be interested in this site:

Swanny

Your best bet is to check the sensor for burnt wires, bad connector, ect. If none found just replace it.

Reply to
Scott M

I don't have the service manual (and hope to sell the car soon.... so don't want to buy one).

Are the 02 sensors easy to locate?

How do I differentiate between (acc. to OBDII: Bank 1- Sensors 1 and 2? 2 is the one I am concerned with.

Thanks, Lar

Reply to
Larry B.

2 is downstream from the CAT. The one furthest away from the engine.
Reply to
Scott M

I am being asked by the dealer (parts inquiry) if it is the left or right handed one. How would one know?

Thanks, Lar

Reply to
Larry B.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Hi Thomas, that is good to know. You wouldn't happen to know the answer to the very question you pose, do you??

Hopefully, this will be the last question.

Thanks, Lar

Reply to
Larry B.

Oops, that question is "Is cylinder #1 associated with the exhaust on the left or right side?"

Reply to
Larry B.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Just in case anyone refers to this thread, cylinder #1 (and therefore Bank

1) is on the right (passenger) side. So, Bank 1, Sensor 2 is the right hand side, rear sensor.

I greatly appreciate the efforts of those that gave helpful answers. Hope to return the favor sometime.

Reply to
Larry B.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Research, research, research

Reply to
Larry B

Bit of a left turn. The dealer and everyone else wants to know if it is right or left handed. That is supported by the OBDII readout of "Bank 1, Sensor 2".

Went under the car to read the actual part number for the dealer and I found that this 5.0 V-8 dual exhaust is actually only "dual" after the cat! There is one sensor upstream and one downstream. Just wanted to mention that finding. The downstream one is hard to get to as it us right above a structural cross-member!

Anyway, now I will challenge the dealer's parts dept on the configuration of the exhaust system in determining the correct replacement sensor.

Thanks, Lar

Reply to
Larry B

on most cars with obd2, there is only 1 "2" sensor, I am suprized there is only 1 "1" sensor on that car though. Are you sure there isnt one on (or just below) each exhaust manifold. (not that it matters in relation to your problem cause your "2" is bad) You might try a local auto parts store for the sensor, the price will probably be better.

Reply to
Scott M

configuration

So "Bank 1, Sensor 2" and "Bank 2, Sensor 2" are the same sensor in this case? I am pretty sure about the single upstream sensor but I would be willing to get under the car again in a few days. What I don't get is why every parts place I called asked me if #2 is the left or right handed sensor??

Reply to
Larry B

Yes, it most likely only has 1 "2" (after cat) sensor. Vehicles with dual exaust will have 2 cats and 4 sensors (1 before each cat, and 1 after each cat.) They ask you because their computer tells them to. Have them look at both and I bet you will find its the same part number or they wont stock one of them because it is rare or doesnt exist :). Either way if the plug fits, and the length of wire is long enough it will work. I have seen some rare cases where the wires are in the plug differently but that is easy enough to see also and IIRC the plug will be slightly different too. I do remember Ford asking for a "calibration code" for sensors on some cars. Its just a number on a sticker in the door jamb. They needed that code to look up the correct sensor. A regular parts house wont ask for that.

Reply to
Scott M