97 Fiesta Zetec timing or accelerator problem??

Hi
Idling speed has jumped to 1200-1500rpm from usual 850-900rpm
Car feels as if something is wrong with engine speed.
DRiving along if I engage neutral rev counter gives high revs reading
2.5/3000 rpm and engine feels as if it is running at that too even in neutral.
What could be possible causes to make it seem stuck like this?
thanks

Is the engine warning light on? Find a way to get the codes read out from the engine control system.
It's usually either a vacuum leak or a bad Idle Air Control or a bad Throttle position sensor.
you pay..DEAL with it!