97 Ford Escort Front disc brakes

I recently replaced OEM brakes with Performance Friction brake pads. I left the pad guides out because they just did not seem to fit with the new pads.
Everything works well,the M + W clips are in securely,and the car stops fine without any noises or vibrations. Is it OK to run the car like this? Is there any serious safety concerns by not running the pad guides? \
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you mean caliper pins?
Or shims?
You call the M & W springs "clips", so I'm not sure what you mean by "guides".
You may get away w/o shims, except for some noise & corrosion, but not w/o much else.
Rob

The guides are 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch plates that go on the tips of the back plate for the calaper.one on the top tip and one on the bottom tip.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

direction, but it sounds like they're tight now.
Rob

Thanks.
"trainfan1" wrote

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/68/d4/0900823d801568d4/repairInfoPages.htm
Specifically,
http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d801568db.jpg

It is exactly the link you have after Specifically
On Jun 26, 7:18 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

In the Mazda Protege repair manual I was looking at (that had the exact same brake setup they called the parts in question pad guides.