97 Ford Escort fuel injected

I have a 97 Ford Escort that is having problems. you have to push down on the gas quite a bit before it will move and when it does it kinda jerks. any suggestions what I should check before I have it taken in?

Reply to
nocarknowledge

Yeah.. you should think about the relationship between engine speed and forward motion.

Your description makes none of that clear and leaves you open to abuse by an unsavory shop... such as are on corners of various malls and strip malls, etc.

Is the Check Engine Lite on?

Does the engine sound like it running fast though it doesnt move much?

Does it cruise okay once it DOES get moving? Does it tend to die at lights and stop signs?

I would thnk you'd know att least ONE person who has some automotive knowledge... or at least knows a good reputable mechanic.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

the motor bogs down when you give it gas but no it doesnt shut off at stop signs.

Reply to
nocarknowledge

assume the answer to Check Engine lite ? is NO

On starting to move or at any speed you accelrate from {why am I having to drag this from you?}

With the motor warm, take it to a low traffic area and stop engine, disconnect the MAF wiring harness (see Autozone for location, but it is in air duct just toward engine from the air filter box) The CEL WILL come on when you do it.

Start and drive the car.. if it runs better, clean the MAF.. search google for directions.

If it runs worse, or not at all, you have a problem with another sensor.

Take it to an auto parts store wher ethey read codes out for free... INSIST ON THE CODE, not the Definition.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If I tell you the correct diagnosis, do you promise to come back here and tell me if I'm right or not?

CJB

Reply to
CJB