97 Ford Taurus: 4 ways and turn signal lights not working

About a month ago the turn signals stopped working (at first it would work sometimes, but not others, but now not at all). During that process I discovered the 4 ways didn't work either, but for how long I don't know because I never used them. I put in a new flasher in (generic) that worked for approximately 3 weeks. Then yesterday it stopped working. When the car tries to signal there is 1 click and then nothing. I've tried 2 more flashers, but same thing for each 1 click and nothing else.

What do you suppose the problem could be?

Other symptoms that may be unrelated or not:

1) for a long time (over a year) a few times a week the symbol for the door open/ajar comes on and stays on for about 2 minutes of driving. All doors are firmly closed.

2) About 2 weeks ago the APS symbol comes on when first starting the car and may stay on for a few minutes. This too happens irregularly.

3) For as long as I can remember the seat belt symbol comes on and stays on for a few minutes (sometimes longer) even when I have the seatbelt fastened. Again this does not happen every time.

My main concern is getting the signal lights working. It is too cold to be driving around with the window open, and having to stick my arm out. Besides nobody seems to know what the signals mean anyway, and just give me the finger because they almost rear-ended me.

Any help appreciated, PS: I went to Ford but both Dealers I called will not give suggestions other than 'let's get you into servicing', at $75hr plus plus plus. If I could afford that I wouldn't be driving a 97!

Pah

Reply to
pahtoot

take all the bulbs out and be sure connections are clean, try new flashers . lucas

ds549

have had some cars that needed the turn signal switch to fix this. i dont have a wireing diagram on this car to see , but may be worth looking into if the bulb connections are all good and clean ,no corrosion.lucas

ds549

Reply to
Tom

Ty lucas for the 2 answers. Tomorrow I will get the Taurus repair manual from the library and try your suggestions the next day (probably need to buy a special tool or something to remove the bulbs...FORD!, love hate relationship).

I'll let you know how I fend.

Thanks again, pah

Reply to
pahtoot

Ty for the reply with a suggestion Tom. I will try this out too after I get the repair manual so I know for sure where to look and which generic part to buy (if one is available). If not I'll get it at a junk yard.

Thanks again, Pah.

Reply to
pahtoot

Check out the sockets to the turn signal bulbs. Look for corrosion or look that it is overheating. I have replaced three rear sockets on my 93 taurus. When i would lose a socket, that side would no longer flash on the turn signals.

From you list of other problems, you may have some grounding issues under the dash. It may be hard to deal with without removing the instrument panel, but it would take apart, clean and retorque any chassis ground you can find in that area. Do the firewall ones under the hood to if you can find any.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz