97 Ford Taurus

during the past year 3 or 4 times the engine powere has started to die but it comes back immediately-battery light abs light and check engine light come on when this happens. Last night the same problem happened but it finally died. I had it towed to my home. This morning it will start but the battery light is on. I have proper voltage across my battery terminals when the car is running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Wilburman

Reply to
lawandorders

If the battery light is on, that means either the battery is shot and needs to be replaced or more likely, your alternator isn't charging your battery. The first thing I would to is clean the contacts like the battery terminal. It could be that the problem is just dirty contacts. You may need a new alternator.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What is the "proper voltage" you are seeing? Sure sounds like an alternator problem to me. - or a bad connection.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

What is the battery voltage when the engine is shut off ? When you read the voltage during running, you really are reading the alternator's output.

Reply to
Shawn