97 Ford Taurus

during the past year 3 or 4 times the engine powere has started to die but it comes back immediately-battery light abs light and check engine light come on when this happens. Last night the same problem happened
but it finally died. I had it towed to my home. This morning it will start but the battery light is on. I have proper voltage across my battery terminals when the car is running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Wilburman
snipped-for-privacy@telus.net wrote:

If the battery light is on, that means either the battery is shot and needs to be replaced or more likely, your alternator isn't charging your battery. The first thing I would to is clean the contacts like the battery terminal. It could be that the problem is just dirty contacts. You may need a new alternator.
Jeff

Sure sounds like an alternator problem to me. - or a bad connection.

What is the battery voltage when the engine is shut off ? When you read the voltage during running, you really are reading the alternator's output.