97 Ford Taurus Cam Shaft Position Sensor

Can anyone tell me or give me details on the Cam Shaft Position Sensor for this vehicle. I got a "check engine soon light" and that is what
comes up on the code. What exactly does this sensor do? I dont know too much about cars, but try to fix what I can to save some money. I cannot pass my NY inspection with this light on. We have cleared it a few times it would stay off for about 40 miles but now comes back once you re-start the car. Also where would I find this sensor if I go to change it?
Thanks in advance.
Patrick

depends on which engine... go to autozone.com
there's a part finder on there under repair, left sidebar
you pay..DEAL with it!
the cam shaft position sensor tells the computer to let the fuel injector's kick on at the right time you need to replace it its not hard and you need to get the oem part from ford and it cost about $30.00 i had to replace mine
jimmyh wrote:

you got lucky, usually the cam sensor drive goes out and takes the sensor with it. if the op's is broken (physically) thats what happened.
Chief Cartwright wrote:

Just to add to what others have said: Check the part that it mounts to. (The CPS mounts on a rotating shaft where the distributor would normally be) I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. The "rotor" inside gets damaged and takes out the sensor, or vice-versa. Very common on this vintage Taurus. If the housing has to be replaced it takes a special timing tool.