97 Ford Taurus Tight Steering Problem

I have a 97 Ford Taurus and suuddenly my steering has become very tight. The steering becomes tight then loosens up, them becomes tight again. The steering also occasionaly makes a noise. What do you think
is the problem?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Power steering system. Check fluid level. Check pump. Could be slipping belt, also.
Assuming all the normal things check & pass then..... Variable rate power steering in this car? If so then it's the VSS going. Steering would do that in my '94 bull as it had variable rate steering.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

How are your radio & power windows working when this happens?
Rob
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

So............. how's it all working out for you now?
Rob