97 Lincoln Continental air suspension

I think all you troubleshooters are gonna love this one:

On a trip last week I noticed the compressor on my 97 Lincoln Continental air suspension was running a bit more than usual. I passed it off to the unusual situation of having four adults and luggage in the car. On the day of departure here's what happened:

We drove a couple of miles for coffee. All OK.

Got back into the car to return to our room to pack. The compressor is running a lot.

We park, get out of the car, the compressor keeps running and all four ends of the car keep rising--rising---rising. I panic and unplug the compressor. (Flipping the switch in the trunk WOULD NOT shut it off.)

We load the car, reconnect the compressor (which immediately pumps again), and drive a couple of miles to breakfast. The compressor stops shortly, and when we get out the car looks normal.

Eat a bite, drive a couple of blocks, load the car on the ferry, and cross "Death's Door" in Lake Michigan (I'm not making that up). The ferry lands, we drive away.

Everything goes to hell. The warning goes on, the rear goes down, down, down, the compresser never comes back on. We endure an uncomfortable ride home after calling the Ford garage, who advises common sense.

So now, I tinker around and discover these things:

1) I can force the compressor to run when I jumper it. 2) The front rises, the rear stays in low rider position. 3) I cannot hear ANY air leaking ANYWHERE.

This is not my first experience with air suspension. I had to replace all four on a 92 Continental, so I well remember how they behaved with leaks. This is different, believe me. I've got an appointment to have it fixed, but I couldn't resist posting this to see what the experts think.

Thanks a bunch.

David, on the Illinois prairie.

(When the Lincoln is running it's a great car. When it has problems--BEND OVER!)

Reply to
David Harris

I think your rear sensor is disconnected physically, not electrically.

Reply to
Pygoscelis Papua

I jacked the car up, took the wheels off (front and rear) and don't see anything obviously out of order. When you say rear sensor, I'm guessing you mean the one on each wheel. The car will be serviced in a couple of days, and I will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the suggestion!

David, on the Illinois prairie.

Reply to
David Harris

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Alright, it's fixed and here's the report:

Diagnostic codes: C1735, C1737, B1318

Replace relay p/n F3LY2C013A $108.76 Labor 112.00 Taxes, disposal 7.80 -------

$228.56

Whew! Not a million dollars as I had feared.

The relay is in the engine compartment. It switches the air compressor on and off. Apparently it stuck, then burned out.