97 Ranger - P1445

No, not a help request but an interesting story....

When #1 son (actually, the only son) got his drivers licence, Dad had visions of the kid wanting to use the SuperCrew.... I was a kid, once, and had visions of what could happen to said SuperCrew.... especially hauling a racing quad up to the track....

So, in a rush, I picked up a 94 F150 4X4 from a guy I thought I could trust.... so much for that idea..... After the cheque was cashed, I set about making sure the truck was at least safe.... I can't blame my boy for not liking the truck... It runs good and everything, it's just not one of those "fun to drive" feeling units.....

In the mean time, I found a 97 Ranger SC 4X4 with a 4.0... sales dept had taken it on trade.... high miler but started and ran good - didn't feel to bad on the test drive. I went through all the 'usual" stuff - changed fluids and filters - did what brakes needed to be done.... steering, 4X4 system, you name it - I wanted the kid to have a dependable truck.

But there was a nagging check engine light.... P1445, purge flow sensor fault. Now, we have to look and see what possible causes there are - and we find that P1445 is an "electrical" fault. OK... I take a page from AutoZone. The sensor is only 24 bucks, and the partsmonger orders one.... shows up in that nights freight cage and I slam dunk the sensor..... After I wiped the egg off my face, I grab the scan tool and see that that the sensor PID is pegged at 5 volts.... sensor plugged in - sensor unplugged - sensor shorted to SIG - sensor shorted to ground... not difference..... Oh, man!?!?! Am I buyng a PCM? Having the luxury of a breakout box (if you're careful at home, you can "work around" but do NOT speard any of the pins), I hook it up.... Hmmmm.... open circuit on the SIG_RTN line... Phew! - no PCM in my future (I hope)...

To cut a long story short, that includes R&R the intake to be sure the portion of the harness that passes under it isn't hurtin', we discover that the engine in this truck is out of a newer truck.... and the portion of the wiring harness that came with the newer engine had the SIG_RTN assigned to a different pin in the PCM connector.

Moral of the story.... proper testing saved me the cost of a PCM (about $400 or so CA)... if I had started proper testing early enough, I could have saved myself enough money to purchase 26 fluid ounces of Mr Seagrams elixir. Even when we see DTCs generated by a "pattern" failure, we desparately need to apply some logic and diagnosis to the concern.... I once had a DIY customer that had purchased several different DPFE sensors.... the first one he purchased would have been good if he had only hooked the hoses up correctly....

Reply to
Jim Warman