97 ranger stalls after start

I have a 1997 Mazda B-2300 (ranger) and it started running poorly on the way to the store. I would die at stoplights and I had to keep the engine revved in order to get home. It was also running very roughly (stuttering) at normal cruising speed (20-30 mhp.) The next day I tried driving it again and it was fine for one trip, then wouldn't start on the second outing. The next day it ran Ok, so I drove it to a mechanic and he checked it out, hooked it up to the computer and found no problems other than an aging serpentine belt 9which he replaced.) The next day it started stuttering on the way home, and the check engine light came on. It now starts-up quickly, then as soon as the RPM drops to idle, the engine coughs and dies. I can keep the engine running (barely) if I keep my foot on the gas @ 2500 RPM.

I replaced the fuel pump just in case, but would like to know where I should look next. The truck has a mechanically sound past with no prior problems. It has 80K miles, a manual transmission and has been serviced regularly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Travis

Reply to
traviswr

Get the engine diagnostic codes read out and bring them {actual codes} here.

There are several possible reasons... and you may have more than one problem; the first response would be the Idle Air Control valve, but that wouldnt explain the rough operation at cruise speeds.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I would've said fuel pump, however, I'd look at the mass air flow sensor and clean the wires with carb spray, gently. and look at your air filter too

Reply to
Eric F

And the code that surfaced was?

Telstar Electronics