97 Taurus 3.0 GL

Any one knows of any fuel/timing problems with these cars? Our car knock like hell. We have to use the most expensive fuel there is and the car is picky too: it "prefers" only the best of the expensive - Exxon. If we put anything other than that it sounds like bells in a church. Really scary.

I heard somewhere about an intentional higher timing that Ford did when these cars first came out, so that EPA values would be within legal, otherwise the car would not have been certified, and that this issue is within a manual bulletin as oppose to a recall (recall - Ford has to pay for it, bulleting - customer pay for the repair)...something that has to be done through the computer. I am probably mixing up technical terms here, but this is the general idea?

Any one knows anything?

Reply to
John

Clean your MAF sensor. Bob

I heard somewhere about an intentional higher timing that Ford did when these cars first came out, so that EPA values would be within legal, otherwise the car would not have been certified, and that this issue is within a manual bulletin as oppose to a recall (recall - Ford has to pay for it, bulleting - customer pay for the repair)...something that has to be done through the computer. I am probably mixing up technical terms here, but this is the general idea?

Any one knows anything?

Reply to
Bob