97 Taurus AXODE no second gear

When cold, sometimes it will shift into neutral instead of second. It either does it or not, no slip. It shifts great most of the time. Usually it will
only do it once in the AM when cold. Did a fresh filter and fluid and it seamed to help quite a bit but it will still do it some. Fluid level is good, it doesn't do the slip around corners or after stops thing either. Has no codes. About 85K miles. Does the axode have a "force motor" I think you call it controlling pressure or could it just be a shift solenoid. Any best guesses? I'm willing to throw a couple hundred at it to see if I can get lucky before going the big money rebuilt route. TIA

It's more than likley not a shift solenoid or the EPC solenoid. Being it happens cold it's most likely a seal getting hard and leaking while cold.

either
will
Has
you