97 Taurus Blower

A few weeks ago I went to turn on the A/C and got no airflow. The fan did not blow anything. I can hear the compressor come on though. I opened the hood to take a look and after slamming the hood down the air would flow again... Until the next time the car was turned off. Now that doesnt work anymore. I have read a few things on here about there being a resistor or something. Does it sound like the blower motor is bad or the resistor or what? Can anyone please give me the location of these item in the car as well? I have no idea where they are. Thanks!

Reply to
ken.smith2

The heater blower motor switch resistor assembly operates in the following manner:

The assembly is located on the passenger side of the A/C evaporator housing behind the glove compartment.

Three resistance elements are mounted on the resistor board to provide four A/C blower motor speeds.

Depending on the heater blower motor switch position, series resistance is added or bypassed in the A/C blower motor circuit to decrease or increase A/C blower motor speed.

An overheating protective device (thermal limiter) prevents heat damage to the A/C evaporator housing.

Overheating of the resistor coils can occur when the system airflow is stopped or reduced as a result of the A/C blower wheel becoming locked or unable to turn freely.

The thermal limiter, used in the heater blower motor switch resistor, performs the following functions:

It serves as a temperature protecting fuse.

It is located a predetermined distance away from the resistor coils and in series with the coil circuit.

It will open the resistor coil circuit when temperature of the thermal limiter reaches 121°C (250°F), interrupting blower motor operation in all speeds except HI.

The spring contacts separate when the wax softens, causing an open circuit in the heater blower motor switch resistor.

The blower motor is installed in the heater blower motor housing, which is part of the A/C evaporator housing.

The heater blower motor switch is mounted on the integrated control panel, & with the heater blower motor switch resistor, allows the selection of four blower motor speeds.

The heater blower motor switch resistor is installed in the A/C evaporator housing. It contains a thermal limiter which is used as a temperature protecting fuse.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Thanks for the locations! Now, what do you think is the most likely culprit of the blower not working? Should I just replace the blower? To me it seemed like it was getting stuck. I think this because if I would open and close the hood hard enough, it would start working again... Used to work anyway...

Reply to
Disavowed

Check for 12v at the blower motor connection. If it's there when it should be, it may be the connection, maybe the blower motor. The connector is a problem with mid-90s FoMoCo cars in general, so that's the most likely (and the easiest to replace).

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

So from what I gather, the blower is behind the glove box. Is this correct?

Reply to
Disavowed

The blower quit running on my 94' Escort. The terminals on the 12-V blower motor wire were corroded where it connects to the blower resistor assembly. I cleaned the spade lug terminals on the wire and the resistor block. It ran fine after that. This problem may be caused by condensation from the A/C corroding that terminal on the blower wire.

Reply to
Fordfan

I found the problem to be the relay switch for the blower motor. It is located under the hood with the fuses. It had arked and caused some melting to the plastic around the contacts. This expains why it would work when closing the hood. I tested the relay and it is still good. There is a bad connection. I just need to clean the contact that the relay plugs into and all should be fine. I can make it work by just touching the relay.

Reply to
Disavowed

The relay arced and melted some plastic? It works when you touch it? Don't you think $20 or so for a new relay is a good investment to keep your car safe from a possible electrical hazard?

Reply to
sleepdog

Absolutely! Bought one today on my lunch hour... Thanks for the help everyone!

Reply to
Disavowed