97 Taurus Brake Piston Push-in

Hi, I'm changing the brakes and don't know what the tool is called to push in the piston. Is it a caliper adjuster or something? About how much do they cost?

Thanks!

JB

Reply to
JB

A big pair of channel locks work nicely. do one side at a time...

Reply to
Scott M

A large C clamp and a block of wood works fine. Or are you talking about the kind that needs to be rotated to move in?

-Ariel

Reply to
Ariel

i use a large C-clamp on the front brakes, they do sell a tool at autozone and pep boys for about $10 that you can get for the front brakes, its called a brake piston adjuster(????) it just pushes the piston back in and you remove the excess brake fluid from the master cylinder with a large plastic Turkey baster(looks like a large eye dropper), cost $1.00 at the dollar stores and $2.00 at walgreens and Walmart in the kitchen tool section... for the back brakes as the pistons have to screws back in to relieve the pressure so you can get the new pads in looks like a small cube with holes in it and protrusions that attach to rear calper pistons.. and you use a socket ratchet to drive the piston back in by pushing and turning it in.... this block/cube cost me about $9.00 at pep boys.... its cheap tools but they work... I think the name on the cube was Leislie or something like that(the name of the company).... they sell inexpensive auto specialty tools to the various auto parts stores...... i was in sears yesterday, and in the tool section they had both of these tools in stock... they are a little higher than the auto parts stores by about a dollar or two.....

Reply to
dbird