97 Taurus - cannot shift out from P

80K miles on 97 Taurus GL, seems like the lever is stuck in P and doesn't move. We went to a nearby Meineke mechanic who shortened a wire around the
brake pedal and it solved the problem. However he told us to go to a Ford dealer so they can fix it permanently. Also, when we got back home we noticed that the brake lights won't turn off (after this cable jumper).
Any idea?
I had the exact same problem on my 98 Taurus SE. It was a $2 part replaced by the dealer. Sorry I can't give you details, don't have the work order in front of me. It was a little electronic switch somewhere up in the dash. I don't know that's your problem, but that was mine.
MW

Hmmm...I guess it's a relay or something...

M White wrote:

failed and the folks a Meineke just jumpered the connector. The more common problem is that the wire(s) break right at the switch connector. Follow the brake pedal arm up to the switch, their "repair" will be obvious as will the necessary repair.
John wrote:

BOO switch. The Brake On Off switch on the pedal arm is faulty, replace it.
To start the car without the "jumper" in place, turn the key to the first postion(unlock) - the position before ANY lights come on in the dash, shift to neutral, start the car, then shift & go. Until then, realize your brake lights aren't working...

Hence "he told us to go to a Ford dealer so they can fix it permanently".
Rob
OK guy, thanks for your replies.
BOO it was.
Aparently (my wife didn't see) the wire broke out from the connector and when the Meinke guy took the switch he didn't bring the connector back, so I didn't even know there was a connector, I only saw the BOO with two separate wires connected to it. This morning with better light I noticed a little pin that looks like it is there to hold an electrical connector. Went to the local Ford, they didn't have the BOO but they checked at another dealer and they had one. Then the guy (at parts) sent me to the shop to check if there is a recall on this thing. There was a recall, but on later models. He also told me that there should be a connector. So I did buy the connector from them and he told me to check the parts store accross the street instead of going to a different town for the part, since most electrical parts are not even manufactured by Ford any more, they are all OEM (including the connector). So sure enough, the guy accreoss the street had it for $12.99 ($23 from Ford...), plus the connector ($9.40), plus some wire shoes for $2 = around $23. If I had my wife drive to Ford with the problem they would have told her to come next week and would charge 4 hours just to look at it...
Thanks for your help!!

Well, you got screwed... if the Meineke guy had kludged it PROPERLY.. yes there is a right and wrong way.. he would have stripped and stuck the one wire that was broken into the connector and pushed it back on the BOO. So that the BOO contact was holding the wire.
I wonder if Ford ever has fixed that problem... been several instance on here of that wire breaking, almost all on Taurus and Windstar IIRC,.. including on my 95 Taurus.
There probably is nothing at all wrong with your original switch.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Yes, there was something wrong with the switch. You don't need the connector for the BOO to work...the two wires were connected DIRECTLY (without the connector) to the BOO and it still didn't work.

Sorry, dunno how I could have misunderstood that... given that the guy REMOVED THE CONNECTOR...