97 Taurus GL Shudder Backing Up/Stop sign

Hi, In my 97 Taurus i'm having a strange problem. Whenever starting "cold" engine (in Florida so not really "cold" per se :-) I can put it into reverse to back out of driveway or parking spot and whole car kind of "shudders" or jerks. As far as I remember only when at idle speed, if you give it some gas problem stops. Engine never has died or anything but feels really strange. RPM's seem normal no sudden drop or surge. Have replaced PCV, spark plugs & wires and cleaned the IAC valve as suggested in other messages here. Also sometimes does this when coming to stop shortly after starting. Never any problems once engine has warmed up, idles fine, and never any problems shifting or anything while in gear.

I have read about some problems with other fords and the torque converter when in reverse and at low rpm's, but from what I have read that is on a different model transmission and my problem is not every time, just when first starting car.

Any suggestions what to check? I'm at a loss.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jeremiah Greer

sglasser

Yikes! For an intermittent problem like this that is more of an annoyance than a performance problem, I think I'll just suffer :)

Reply to
Jeremiah Greer

..make sure you dont have broken engine mounts.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic