97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?

Threaded View
I have had very low or no heater/defroster hot air output on my 97 Taurus GL
wagon (3.0 liter Vulcan with AC) since I used some Prestone Stop Leak to
(successfully) control a slow loss of coolant level.  I suspect the coolant
loss was a due to very small head gasket leak, as there was no evidence of
external leakage at the ususal suspect locations, and no smell of leaking
coolant anywhere inside or outside of the car.

Back to the heater, since the Stop Leak was introduced, heat output has been
very low or non existent, though very infrequently, I do get some hot air
out.  The engine and the rest of the cooling system is coming to normal
temperature, however, the return line on the heater is cool, indiciating to
me that the core is likely clogged, probably from the Stop Leak.  The heater
bypass hose is hot, so it looks like everything else is OK.

I am going to try to backflush the heater core through its supply and return
hoses.  Is this likely to clear the clogging?  Assuming that it does not,
how difficult is it to actually change out the core?  I've done this on a
few other cars, and it usually requires a massive dashboard disassembly.
Never done this on a car with dual air bags.

Am I overlooking something obvious, such as a stuck thermostat?  I'm
thinking that's OK, based on otherwise normal coolant  temperature gauge
readings, and the fact that flow in the bypass line, which appears to be
directly in parallel with the heater core, is hot.

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
Look below for a thread "99 Taurus heater problems". I flushed mine, and
it has helped. I disconnected the heater core hoses, and flushed it
seperately with scalding hot water from a garden hose connected to the
water heater in my barn, and it helped a lot. From what my Haynes manual
has on changing the heater core in a Taurus, its not a fun nor easy job.
If you have the orange Dex-Cool antifreeze, get rid of it. It had turned
to sludge in my Taurus, causing the heater core blockage.

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
Chris, I owe you a 6 pack for posting your procedure.  I just followed it,
minus the air compressor portion, and I have heat again in my 98 Taurus.
What kinda beer do you drink?

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
Thanks!  Just found this follow up thread here on 12/28.  Guiness and Bass
Black and Tans!

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
And yes - that would be two six packs, one for the Guiness and one for the
Bass! (I actually posted back before I read the rest of the replies!)

Glad to hear things worked out for you.  My heater will drive you out of the
car now on max temp...and it also survived another dose of stop leak to the
system to clear up a persistent slow leak I have somewhere (head gasket, I
suspect).  I think when I did the stop leak trick a year ago, the heater was
well on its way to a full clog and the stop leak was the coup-de grace.
This time, no problem.

it,

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
for the
of the
to the
gasket, I
heater was
grace.
and Bass
followed
Taurus.

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
for the
of the
to the
gasket, I
heater was
grace.
and Bass
followed
Taurus.
Chris,
I just got an estimate of $1500 to replace the heater core and radiator
on my 97 Sable becasue of a  heater problem that sounds a lot like
yours.  I am not mechanically inclined, any chance you live in MA and
are interested in some side work?  I am not going to put $1500 into the
Sable but would love to give your fix a try.

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
I'm beginning to think that this is a common problem with Tarurses.  A
lady I work with has a 99 Sable with the same problem. Does your 97 have
the orange antifreeze? If so, its only a matter of time before its
clogged again. Flush the entire system really well, then switch her to
green!

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
It originally had the Ford orange stuff.  I think the dealer changed it to
green when they did the "rust in coolant" recall that added the bypass line
about a year after I bought the car.  I had the coolant replaced about a
year ago, just after I had added the Stop Leak.  The oil change shop that
claimed  and charged big time for a "flush" of the system nothing more than
a drain and refill. That change did not fix the low heat output problem.
And they re-filled the expansion tank solid, which caused a big mess when
the fill cap relief valve lifted on the way home as a result.  Luckily,
nothing worse happened.    I have been living with the lack of heat through
the warm weather, but driving through  the season's first snow storm the
other night with a windshield that was constantly fogging up due to the lack
of heat finally got me motivated to fix it right!

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
Dont'cha just love happy endings!!!!!

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
Chris, I owe you a 6 pack for posting your detailed procedure.  I followed
it, minus the air compressor portion, and I now have heat again in my 98
Taurus.  What kind of beer do you drink?

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
Is that 12 beers total ????????

Re: 97 Taurus Heater Core Flush/Replace?
All my posts show up......eventually.

It's 12 beers only if Chris requests them.

Site Timeline