97 Taurus Instrument Cluster (gauges) replacement

Bought a 97 Taurus and the previous idiot that owned it evidently got tired of looking at the Check Engine light, so instead of fixing the underlying problem, he took a drill and drilled through the bezel,
through the bulb, and through the circuit board. Made the light go out, sure enough.
But my problem is I fixed the underlying problem causing the light to come on, and I would like to have functionality of the light back, just in case.
I've seen several people selling replacement clusters on eBay, but I'd rather not get into replacing the whole thing so I won't have to deal with the whole inaccurate mileage thing.
My question is, any body know if you can just change out that circuit board? If not, if you replace the whole thing, can the dealer reset the mileage to match what was on the old odometer (if you don't buy it from them)? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks!

first. I've seen CVs that the odometer part of the cluster was removeable and could be put into a different cluster. The Taurus might be the same way. What ever happened to the "black tape over the light fix" anyway? :)
Shoe Salesman wrote:

Doesn't work for emissions inspections on OBDII vehicles. No current codes/CEL/SES/Check Engine light off to pass.
Rob

correctly, why didnt he just put tape over it instead of drilling a freakin hole through the dash....jeez what a moron.
Shoe Salesman wrote:

Oh, the tape would be too obvious he was hiding something...
Rob
Luckily Florida (where I live) isn't a state with emissions inspections so don't have to worry about that. I really wish he had tried the black tape thing, much simpler and easier to fix!! I think I might try the solder in a bulb idea though. I'll take it apart and report back with what I find.
Jeremiah Greer wrote:

You can pick up a used instrument cluster, disassemble it and install your old Speedometer\odometer. Clusters are normally modular in design. It's usually a simple matter of a few screws to remove the fromt lense and trim, then unplug the speedo\odo unit. Should be pretty easy, about an hour.

Unless your car has exceptionally low mileage, checking the block on the transfer papers/title, when selling, as "Mileage Shown is Incorrect" is really no big deal. Plus, if you keep it a little longer, on any vehicle 10 or more years old, you can just write in the mileage-block "Exempt". Hope this might help. s
Jeremiah Greer wrote:

cover over the light instead of *!@" your dash up. I had my rad light on all the time before too. That is what I used..I guess I have more brains than you. :)
your dash up. I had my rad light on all the

He can read just fine, you on the other hand......
"Dale" wrote

I made the relevant part of his post ALL CAPITALS for your convenience, Einstein.