97 Taurus - now the Cruise control doesn't work

When I turn the MASTER (cruise control) on, the green light in the panel comes on, but when I try to set the speed, nothing happens.
Any idea about that?

Brake switch adjustment ??
When I turn the MASTER (cruise control) on, the green light in the panel comes on, but when I try to set the speed, nothing happens.
Any idea about that?
Well, I did replace the Brake Switch three days ago, but did not see anything to adjust on it.
Can you please elaborate on that?
Thanks.

Are there 1 or 2 switches on the brake pedal ??
If 2( 1 brake lites and 1 cruise switch) you probably moved the cruise switch while installing brake switch
If just 1 switch make sure the brake lites don't stay on all the time

No, just one switch and the light is not on. I just had an issue with it and replaced it. See here.
Subject: 97 Taurus - cannot shift out from P Date: Monday, January 16, 2006 5:19 PM
80K miles on 97 Taurus GL, seems like the lever is stuck in P and doesn't move. We went to a nearby Meineke mechanic who shortened a wire around the brake pedal and it solved the problem. However he told us to go to a Ford dealer so they can fix it permanently. Also, when we got back home we noticed that the brake lights won't turn off (after this cable jumper).
Any idea? "
And this is the outcome:
BOO it was.
Aparently (my wife didn't see) the wire broke out from the connector and when the Meinke guy took the switch he didn't bring the connector back, so I didn't even know there was a connector, I only saw the BOO with two separate wires connected to it. This morning with better light I noticed a little pin that looks like it is there to hold an electrical connector. Went to the local Ford, they didn't have the BOO but they checked at another dealer and they had one. Then the guy (at parts) sent me to the shop to check if there is a recall on this thing. There was a recall, but on later models. He also told me that there should be a connector. So I did buy the connector from them and he told me to check the parts store accross the street instead of going to a different town for the part, since most electrical parts are not even manufactured by Ford any more, they are all OEM (including the connector). So sure enough, the guy accreoss the street had it for $12.99 ($23 from Ford...), plus the connector ($9.40), plus some wire shoes for $2 = around $23.
face="Times New Roman">...<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; When I turn the MASTER (cruise control) on, the green light in the panel<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; comes on, but when I try to set the speed, nothing happens.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; Any idea about that?<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
John wrote:

check the brake lights. Do they work? If not check the fuse. Also look carefully under the dash for another wire that might have been missed when hooking up the brake switch.
The lights are ON normally (that is - they are on when I press the pedal, they are not stuck in ON position).
Another wire - I'll have to look tonight, however, say I missed a wire (which I don't think I have), how come the (Cruise) MASTER can be activated on/off?
Also, JohanB mentioned, what's in the brake switch that can be adjusted?
size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; John wrote:<BR></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR>&gt; check the brake lights. Do they work? If not check the fuse. Also look <BR>&gt; carefully under the dash for another wire that might have been missed <BR>&gt; when hooking up the brake switch.</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
John wrote:

Check ALL the bulbs, though. They all have to be working for enough current to be drawn through them for the CC to latch.

That is just the power to the CC module.

If the brake lights are activating properly, the switch is probably in the right position. If they are "bouncing" on & off while you're driving, it needs to be adjusted, as it will just keep shutting down the CC.
Rob

Maybe the dump valve? How close is it to the brake switch?
you pay..DEAL with it!