97 Taurus Power Seat

Hi all,

I've got a 1997 Ford Taurus GL wagon. My driver's side power seat can move forward and back, the back of the seat can move up and down, and the front of the seat can move up and down.

Recently, the front no long moves up or down. The switch clicks but the motor doesn't engage. The other two movements work just fine. Unfortunately the seat isn't in my preferred position either (front max up). I moved it down a touch just before it died.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem and found a fix? How much would it cost to fix, ballpark?

Thanks

Reply to
Code-ak Bear

Someone would have to take it partially apart and diagnose exactly what failed first.

Diagnostic note: This works like electric windows. They switch both power and ground lines to the motor, it should be open circuit both sides with the switch off. They reverse the polarity to reverse the motor, so you get +12 on one terminal and Ground on the other when you call for Up, and the polarity is reversed when you call for Down. Failure of the ground is just as likely as failure of the power.

If it's the switch that failed, you may be able to take it apart and clean up the contacts. If the motor failed, they can be fixed (if you can locate the brushes or other pieces) or swapped out with a junkyard item. Same thing if the gearbox jammed or stripped, but it will be more work changing out the seat mount cradle.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman