97 Taurus S/W Catalytic Converter

This 3.0 L Vulcan model has a y-pipe containing dual catalytic converters. 110K miles. The bank B catalyst shows failure on measurements, and a P0430 code. According to what I have read, Ford
says that the P0430 code cannot be set by bad sensors, it is a bad catalyst.
Does anyone know if the banks can be individually replaced yet? I got a quote last fall from Ford - $850 parts, & Meineke - $1100 total job. I can't believe Ford made the replacement so expensive.
It may just be time to replace the car before the next emissions inspection!
Thanks in advance,
GT
Could you do the work yourself? If so, you can find the parts elsewhere for cheaper. Don't have to buy the parts from Ford. A quick search online and I found the piece for $341. Check with some local junk yards for the piece as well...might get it for even cheaper.
-AGS

Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

Thanks!

Ford