97 Taurus SHO RL brake overheating

Hi All!
Last summer my RL brakes overheated so much that the pads melted to the disc. I took it into meineke (not happy with the local dealer's previous work) and they replaced the calipers, etc.
The symptom would be a howling just after releasing the brakes after they had heated up.
After a week of driving, the howling was still there, though less. They adjusted the emergency brake while the car was on the rack.
It still howls, not very often, and usually when cold. They seem to think that the wheel bearing has gone.
My brakes are pulsating now too (started in late April) but I am not sure which wheel yet. I'm no auto buff, just a geek :)
I have a Fluke IR thermometer so I drove around braking, then measured the discs. Between 0-60f hotter on the left wheel (it fluctuates) while the others are consistent and the same temp (fronts and RR)
Meineke put remanufactured calipers on last summer.
My mileage has been as low as 15mpg in the city, 25hwy.
Could the bearing have gone bad, or am I paying $300 for a new wheel that I don't need?
What is the best way to figure this out?
They also said they fired the guy who adjusted my emergency brake on the rack, that it should have be done on the ground.
Steve
As a followup, Meineke says they use "A C E bearing hub assemblies" and the part is $216.
How does this sound?
Thanks :)
Steve
none wrote:

It's possible. They could demonstrate it easily with the caliper pulled and a stethoscope, on a lift.
or am I paying $300 for a new wheel

Bearing? Listen to it 1st.

The left caliper is dragging. Go back to Meineke and have them fix it right.

There is no emergency brake adjustment. They are self adjusting with the first activation.
The Taurus typically is known for too little rear bias on the 4 wheel disc set-up, it's probably a front rotor with some run-out now.
Rob

Thanks Rob. We changed out the bearing, and it was loose and could tell it was flat in 2 spots. Everything seems better now. They redid the discs and pads for free.
Steve wrote:

Good deal. Have you had your camshafts pinned or welded yet? It really is a must. The car is junk if a cam sprocket slips.
Go drive that Taurus!
Rob

No I have not. I've only got 75K on it in 9 years. If it dies, it'll probably be sold for parts. I want a new car anyway at some point. Love my SHO but ready to get better mileage on regular heh. Not for any political or financial reason. Could use some hauling space too.

Oh I forgot to ask. What does this involve? Cost, etc. Who does this in the Portland, Or area?
Steve wrote:

It's around $600.00. Check the SHO forums for someone nearby.
Rob
none wrote:

Because this "Could the bearing have gone bad, or am I paying $300 for a new wheel