97 Taurus sloppy ignition key

I've noticed recently that the entire ignition key and cylinder is "out" of the steering column by about 1/4" (i can push it back, but it comes back out
again), and seems to be pretty loose, with a fair amount of wobble and play when moving the key into different positions.
Is this common on these cars? (IE, is it worth going to a scrapyard to get a new key and lock mechanism, or should I buy new). Is there an easy fix for it? (I'm guessing I'll need to take apart the entire column to get at it).
Ford sells the replacement. It doesn't come with a new key however. You will need to build a new key and then assemble the mechanism. It's a pain. I'd wait for it to break.
Patrick

Get a new one and have it keyed to your old one, its easy to change. remove the lower plastic from around the column,turn the key on, push the little button in the little hole under the lock and it will pop out. You could buy one at a parts house but it will have a different key though.