97 taurus speed sensor

I am replacing a speed sensor on a 97 taurus. The sensor is stuck. I removed the bolt and the hold down bracket was so rusted it fell apart. I pulled on the sensor as low as possible and the plastic top section
came off. Any suggestions for removal would be greatly appreciated. I have tried pliers,a screw threw the middle,and a socket around it to break it loose. It will not budge.

Same situation with my 99 Escort (still in one piece but won't budge either). From what I'd read, some people have had luck screwing a fat lag bolt into whatever's left (after drilling it) and pulling the whole thing out. Aside from that (what *I* fear), I think the transmission has to come out to remove it.