97 Taurus Transmission Identification

Doing my first spring hand-wash last weekend, I noticed a ton of grease flown up around the front passenger side wheel well. Checking, the CV boot
is cracked. I'd planned on getting a new boot and doing the job next week, but the joint started making noise today, so i need to get a halfshaft and replace the whole shebang.
When I called to get one, the auto parts guys wanted to know which tranny is in the car. I can't easily go check this, as the car is right now 60 miles away at a relative's place (I don't have room to work on cars at my home).
Is there any way I can find out which trans is in my car from the VIN or from the year/engine type, or do I need to physically go out there and get under the car to find out?
It's a 97 Taurus GL sedan, 3.0 Vulcan engine.
Teknical wrote:

It's most likely the AX4S. Have someone near the car look underneath at the pan - if it is stamped "AXOD" it is the AX4S, if it is stamped "AX4N", it is the stronger AX4N.
Rob