97 Taurus Transmission Shift Problem

problem with gear sliping to neutral especially over bumps

Reply to
james

My guess is motor and/or transmission mounts that allow the engine/transmission to move around when the car goes over a speed bump. There is a cable from the gear selector to the transmission, and if the trans can move around while the cable is held in place, the result is a gear change.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Being a sheathed (bowden) type cable, I doubt this is the problem. Much more likely - being a computer controlled transmission, is a bad electrical connection - either at the VSS or at one of the solenoid valve connections. This is assuming the fluid level isn't low - - - -

Reply to
clare

Don't know if it applies to that transmission but I've heard of some Fords having similar symptoms when some module on the transmission goes back, it's some kind of computer box that takes readings from the shift cable and electrically controls things the transmission does.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yea, it could be the shift position selector switch on the tranny. Which is also an electrical connection problem.

Reply to
clare