98 Contour 171 fault code

How about this... Got a 98 Contour (2.0L) cylinder with a 171 fault code.. This is an O2 sensor. Have replaced the sensor on the manifold and the on in the pipe under the engine and cleared the fault... BUT the fault returns with "171 bank-1 O2 sensor ... what is bank-1, better yet, where is "Bank-1"

Thanks

S Cambron

Reply to
scambron

scambron opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@NEWS.CHESAPEAKE.NET:

Welcome to the "biters" club! You shot the messenger.

Who told you to replace that sensor? It was only reporting a problem elsewhere, and to make matters worse... you dont even SEEM to understand the code definition as you LEFT OUT THE KEY WORD!!!!!

WHEN did the CEL come on...I mean what was happening at the time.

And, here's a hint.. your engine doesnt have a bank 2. But many engines do.

I suggest you either read up in a hurry - Library, author: Probst- or take your car to a competent shop

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0171 bank 1 (Cylinder 1) and DTC P0174 bank

2 indicate the fuel/air ratio is too lean. The fuel trim system is at the rich correction limit.

That basicly means you probably have a vacuum leak some were. it is not a o2 sensor fault

Check with a spray bottle filled with water and spray at the intake manifold and surrounding areas to see if it start to run differently. Also check al the hoses and connectors on the intake manifold.

Johan

Reply to
johanb

Thank you for you help

S Cambron

Reply to
scambron

Thanks.... My '79, 6.6 (403 CDI) T/A is much easier to work on!

Thanks agian! S Cambron

Reply to
scambron

scambron opined

The line above is "help"

And another question... is there anything else, difficulty starting or idling?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

has the answer.

Reply to