98 Crown Vic Mis- Fire

My 98 Crown Vic started to Mis fire today. Got a check engine light. I remember reading that the coils start to break down after 100,000 miles. I jigggled the coil caps a little and found that I could get
the misfire to stop. I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes to clear the check engine light. Is there a sure way to check these coils rather than replacing them all? They cost about $60.00 each. Each plug has a coil on top of it.
When the computer diagnostic codes are pulled it might turn up something like "Misfire in cylinder #5" or so.
Best not jump to conclusions. Even a loose spark plug can cause this. It could be a bad spark plug, bad plug wire, or a bad connection between the spark plug and the coil.
Most of the time it are the boots on the coil packs that are going bad.
Pull the coil pack and sparkplugs and look for carbon tracks, moisture or cracked boots
Offcourse @ 100K it wouldnt hurt to replace all plugs and boots anyway

After I tried looking for tracking, and diagnostic code checking, I got frustrated and changed ALL the coil packs at 89K. and it was the best thing I have done to the Vic. it runs better than new since the change out. Yes they are expensive, (8cyls.x$60) but I have found no way to check these, and yes they do go bad. If you want to "cheap out" just try changing the boots only, and maybe you will get lucky. If you decide to install new packs, make sure you install new plugs, this is an easy job and should take no more than one hour. These packs are exposed to alot of heat and I feel Ford did a poor job at locating them where they did. Good Luck.