98 Escort Front brake rotors-held on with nut?

I am trying to get the front rotors off of my 98 escort to no avail. Are they held on with the wheel bearing nut? These are the factory rotors from when the car was new.
How do I loosen the nut? I haven't got a socket that big.

No.
You don't.

Use hammer to knock loose. They are not held on by anything. ( assuming you have the wheels and calipers off? ).
DH wrote:

i have the 96 for service cd and it shows the rotors on the escort just like all the other fords(i guess the 98 would be the same.. after removing the wheel, the caliper and hanging it out of the way with some wire so the hose does not break you just pull the rotor out to your.. if it does not want to move make sure you have the two sheet metal nuts, stamped sheet metal that might be holding it to the hub(the part with the lugs on it.... if that dont work then hit it with a hammer to get it to move from its frozen positon on the hub... this is probably all your problem.. the big nut you are talking about is for the HUB... on older fords with front disc. brakes the large nut was used to hold on the hub also..... hope this helps.
I have tried hitting it with a 3 lb sledge to no avail. A neighbor who works at a goodyear service center said the center nut has to come off to get the rotor off. Any chance this could be true?
DH opined in

SURE.. It COULD be an integral hub-rotor, the ford official manual COULD be wrong...tell you what, go to an on-line parts store.. or a couple of them
www.autozone.com www.napaonline.com
search for YOUR part... ie front rotor for YOUR year and model.
If it shows several choices, like "loaded" or "not loaded", then it's probably integral.
Or just call around to see if some local store has it in stock and go see for yourself.
Nothing special on the parts sites. I have never had a rotor stay on this hard if it is not held on by the hub nut. I pounded on it and it just won't budge. I guess I'll try some more.
Another thing I have never seen before,I went to do the back brakes and replace the drums,etc. The drums are held on by 2 philipps head screws. I'll be damned if I know how to loosen them. They are so rusted and heated in place,I don't know how they were ever meant to come off.

be
for
Rookie mistake. Yes the screws on the drum can be a bitch. Just drill off the heads, the only reason they are there is for assembly at the factory. Yes rotors can be stuck very hard. Sometimes they even break while trying to remove. Do your self a favor and buy new ones.

NO!
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; I have tried hitting it with a 3 lb sledge to no avail. A neighbor who works<BR>&gt; at a goodyear service center said the center nut has to come off to get the<BR>&gt; rotor off. Any chance this could be true?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
Whatever... he's gonna get new rotors - or at least one- now and the question will resolve itself.
Thomas Moats opined in wrote>> I have tried hitting it with a 3 lb sledge to no avail. A neighbor who

Well,a lot of beating and it came off. The other wheel came off when i removed the caliper. There was so much rust on it that the rotor looked attached to where the hub nut was. After rapping it,it came off and the rotor being seperate was pretty obvious. Thanks all for your help.
Now if I can only get a good way to remove the bolts holding the drums on.

works
the
I told you, drill off the screw heads. They are not needed.

Oh my!!!! Is that parts guy certified? Lets ask "collage boy"!! ;)

Hurrycane has been gone for quite a while, I wonder if they finally took away his work release privilege. Bob
Hahaha. Good one :)

Easy, acetylene torch. Parts guy recommended it :-D
-GV
DH opined in

AUTO PARTS GUY!!!!
Holy CRAP! Why didnt you just ASK for the freaking replacement rotor?!!!
When you got it out of the box, the answer would be clear.
NEVER NEVER trust what AUTO PARTS GUYS say WITHOUT corroboration... Not that they're stupid, half the time, OR MORE, they dont even understand the question. I bet he didnt understand YOUR question.
If you listen to AUTO PARTS GUYS, you're in for a long expensive education.