98 Ford Escort

I just purchased a 98 Escort and I'm findinf that it idles very low even to a point when I put it in drive or reverse it almost shuits off (stalls)
As well, when driving there is a paticular point at which I press the gas pedal (in about 1/2 inch or inch and the car will sputter. if i push the gas a little further it is completly fine...
Any suggestions?

The first problem sounds like a dirty or faulty IAC, aka Idle Air Control valve. That's what adjusts the idle speed for various conditions.
The second problem sounds like a potentially faulty throttle position sensor.
CJB
Thanks for the sugestions. The funny thing is that the SE (Service Engine) light is not on. It did come on for about 10 mionutes a couple days ago but then went away again.
CJB wrote:

well, the cel often won't set for a IAC problem, and if the throttle issue is short lived, it probably isn't lasting long enough either.
CJB

Thanks for the sugestions. The funny thing is that the SE (Service Engine) light is not on. It did come on for about 10 mionutes a couple days ago but then went away again.
CJB wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Sure the light turned off but that doesn't mean there are no continuous memory codes stored in the car's computer. Scan for codes, don't assume there aren't any.
Will do. Thanks for the help

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I have the same car which had the same issue. In my case, cleaning the MAF and reseating all the vacuum line connections I could reach fixed it. Do you also find that if you're idling while in drive, the car vibrates very markedly? Do you also find that, again, idling in drive, the engine will stumble briefly when you turn on headlights or A/C?
Correct. I do have those same symptoms. I'm gonna clean out the ICV and thge MAF as well. Thanks very much for the help. Hopefully this solved the problem so I dont have to spen money taking it to the shop!+