'98 Ford Taurus 3.0 - radiator drain plug

HI all
I attepmted to drain the radiator on my Ford and cant find the drain plug, Is there such an item on this car. If not whats the method for getting the
old anti-freeze out of the thing.
This is too weird.
THanks
Larry
Larry P wrote:

to remove the lower rad. hose to drain the radiator... but on our 96 contour you would never see the drain plug on the radiator if you did not take the bottom plastic piece that goes along the bottom/front of the car(think its a wind deflector).....i checked www.advanceautoparts.com and ran a check for a radiator drain cock for a 1998 taurus and it listed two in the sheet.. if they never had any listed it would indicate that you do not have any, but being as they sell them you probably have a setup like my 96 contour....its hidden by the plastic under the car.... hope this helps.
And there should be a little tube connected to it and poking through that plastic shield, to let you drain the radiator without removing the shield.

IK wrote:

back to the radiator about 6 inches with a large screwdriver and unscrew the drain cock.....

Hey Larry,
I've changed the anti-freeze on my 1999 Sable Wagon (should be exactly like your Taurus). You have to remove the black plastic piece that goes accross the bottom of the car to get to the drain plug. All you need to do to take it off is remove a few screws. Once you get it off, the drain is on the driver's side. Be carefull when you're loosening the drain nut, as it is plastic and mine was very brittle and half broke as I was removing it. If you need any more information, just let me know.
Chris 95 Taurus SE 99 Sable Wagon LS
100% correct about thr driver side and that brittle plastic. Makes sense to just replace it..

forget what everybody told you... if it is that hard to get to the drain plug just use the lower radiator hose and install a normal hose clamp when done
My (STOCK SPRING hose clamp) for my lower hose just went on my brand new ford.. I installed a new hose clamp (screw type) on my own and had ford fdlush the system
Ken