98 FOrd Taurus- stuck-on running lamps

Hi All

I came home one night and my headlamp running lamps were stuck on. I tried everything to shut them off, even the Parking Brake. Nothing would extinguish tem till I found the right fuse and pulled it.

Someone told me that Ford is known for stuck relays. Where on my Ford 3.0 98 Taurus is this relay located?

TIA

Larry

Reply to
Larry P

Is there some criteria I'm not meeting here to get an answer to my question? Is this a private NG? Twice I posted this question with no response to either. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks

Reply to
Larry P

did you ever think you got no answer to your question because no one here knows thw answer??

Reply to
Falcoon

Honestly, I don't know where the relay is. If you ask a question and no one answers, it's because no one knows the answer. Quit being cheap and go buy a Haynes manual. Within 3 minutes you'll have the answer to your question. :-)

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

Yes there is criteria.

1) Use proper terms. You were asked what lights you mean. Most every body here knows that headlamp running lights have nothing to do with the parking brake system.

Many headlamp running lights turn on and off by pulling out and pushing in the head lamp switch, Some use a separate switch. Check the switch that controls the light. To find out how your system works, buy the electrical trouble shooting manual and use it.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

You're not even close to understanding the newer cars today. Yes the parking brake is attached to the running lights. When the car is in on and in Park the running lamps stay illuminated til you press the parking brake, Look it up, ask someone. I've had the electrical manuals for many cars before, they are a mess to follow. LIke picking out one spaghetti from many. I th9ought someone with a little experience could save me tons of trouble, Isnt that what these NG"s are for anyway????

Thanks, I think

Reply to
Larry P

I believe that his question was about Daylight Running Lights (DRLs). I am not familiar with the Taurus, but own a couple other Fords of that vintage, so my guess is that it could be the same arrangement. In those, the DRLs are not separate lamps, but a low-intensity mode of the high beams. The DRLs are on when the ignition is on, parking brake is off, and the regular lights are off. What controls this operation is not a relay, but something called a DRL module. It's about 3x3x2, black, with cooling fins and has a distinct, oval-shaped connector. It needs cooling, so it will probably be exposed to the flow of outside air, and won't be mounted the engine compartment. It also needs to be somewhere near the headlight harness. On one of my vehicles it's behind the grill; on the other it's behind the bumper, under the driver side headlight. The part costs about $60 at the dealership. If you don't need DRLs, you can remove it altogether, but it must be replaced with a special shorting plug, or the headlights (probably just the high beams) won't work at all.

Hope that helps someone,

IK

Reply to
IK

I assume you are talking about the "daytime running lamps"? On a 98 Ford it is very likely they are controlled by the Lighting Module. It is a $500 module that is full of relays and other fun stuff. I have no idea how to diagnos it with out a book on that car. GL

Reply to
Scott

Maybe you don't understand. I see nothing about running lamps in the 98 Shop manual. Fog lamps are not listed, nor "running lamps". Fog lamp were not an option till

2000. What are these lights you are calling "running lights", where are they located, front or rear of vehicle.

Section 17-01: Lighting, Exterior 1998 Taurus/Sable Workshop Manual DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION Procedure revision date: 03/16/1998

Headlamps Aerodynamic

The headlamp system consists of:

two aerodynamic headlamps (13008) with replaceable halogen bulbs. three-position headlamp switch (11654) (with integral circuit breaker). headlamp dimmer switch (part of multi-function switch (13K359)). circuit wiring and circuit protection. Power is supplied to the headlamp switch through circuit protection in the power distribution box in the engine compartment. Ground is provided to the headlamp bulb and retainers (13N021) through Circuit 57 (BK).

Turning the headlamp switch clockwise provides power to the headlamp dimmer switch in the multi-function switch through Circuit 15 (R/Y).

With the headlamp dimmer switch in the low or middle position, power is supplied to the low beam elements through Circuit 13 (R/BK). With the headlamp dimmer switch in the high position (forward detent), power is supplied to the high beam elements and to the high beam indicator in the instrument cluster (10849) through Circuit 12 (LG/BK). Momentarily pulling the headlamp dimmer switch toward the steering wheel (3600) closes the flash-to-pass switch and illuminates the high beam indicator. They will remain lit until the headlamp dimmer switch is released. Headlamp Delay System - Autolamp

The autolamp system:

provides light sensitive, automatic on-off control of the exterior lamps normally controlled by the manual headlamp switch. provides illumination for occupants leaving the vehicle by keeping exterior lamps on for a preselected period of time after the ignition switch is turned OFF. can be adjusted by the driver to delay exterior lamp shut-off for up to 3 minutes. The system consists of:

light sensor amplifier (13A018). autolamp relay (headlamp). autolamp relay (parking lamps). an autolamp time delay switch (part of headlamp switch) which includes an on/off switch. Connections to the vehicle lamps parallel the regular headlamp switch connections, requiring the headlamp switch be turned to the OFF position for the automatic control feature.

In normal operation:

The system will turn the exterior lamps on when the ambient light available to the light sensor amplifier decreases below a predetermined level. The lamps will automatically turn off when the ambient light level exceeds a predetermined level during daylight hours. NOTE: Do not place any items in the RH corner of the windshield which may block light to the light sensor amplifier.

The light sensor amplifier:

is mounted to the instrument panel (04320) beneath the instrument panel upper finish panel (044A90) . must always be exposed to outside light to function properly. The autolamp time delay switch is part of the headlamp switch. The autolamp system is functional for automatic operation when the autolamp time delay switch is moved from the off position and the headlamp switch is in the OFF position. The closer the autolamp time delay switch is moved toward the max-delay, the longer the exterior lamps will stay on after the ignition switch is turned OFF.

Item Part Number Description

1 11654 Headlamp Switch 2 - OFF Position (Part of 11654) 3 - Parking Lamp Position (Part of 11654) 4 - Headlamp Position (Part of 11654) 5 - Autolamp Time Delay Switch (Part of 11654) 6 - Autolamp Indicator Lamp (Part of 11654) 7 - Panel Dim Switch (Part of 11654) 8 - Lighting Control Switch (Part of 11654)

Daytime Running Lamps

Refer to Section 17-04.

Reply to
Thomas Moats