98 Grand Marquis Alternator Problem

REcently had a problem with the pigtail conmnector on the right side of my alternator. The mechanic replaced it but didn't soldier the connections properly. Now I get intermitent charging. My daughter was
driving at night and the head lights died. When I jiggle the wires, the alternator starts charging. Question, Is this a connector problem or a bad alternator. The mechanic is going to replace the connector again (at no charge) but I'm wodering if there is a more serious problem lurking.

Be very suspicious of the connector. There are a few aftermarket alternators that include the pigtail connector with the alternator and insist that you replace it for them to honor their warranty.
finiteguy wrote:

Yeah, the more serious problem is that your mechanic doesn't know how to properly install the connector.

Final Verdict: The alternator was junk. Needed to be replaced. Not bad for 12 years and 185,000 miles