98 mondeo lx td radio wiring & manual help

Hi Group, I just bought a mondeo and the radio is not wired up (original radio removed and replaced with a dud...) I have tried sorting out which wire is which using a circuit tester but can't seem to find either a live feed for the radio memory (ign. off) or a main live feed (ign. on) maybe someone could point me at a website or tell me which wire is which? (and where the fuse is...) Also, I have tried to find a Haynes manual which covers this model/year but cannot (1.8 LX TD Estate, 1998), I have emailed Haynes and so far have not had any response so any advice on which one to get would be appreciated. Many Thanks, James.

Reply to
James

James,

Try looking at

Cheers, Ian.

Reply to
Ian McIntosh

Thanks Ian, I found that site yesterday and although the wires are different in my mondeo, (I think someone has been messing with them... Is it normal that the heater fan has to be switched on for the elec. windows to work?) I have managed to wire the radio, still no reply from Haynes though. James.

Reply to
James

Wiring colours do vary from year to year (I think the looms sometimes come from different sub-contractors who may use different colours at their discretion). They key thing is that the function of each wire is defined by its position in the connector, so as long as the original connectors are still there you ought to be able to work out which wire does what.

My radio fuse is Fuse 32 (7.5A) in Fuse Box 1, up behind the glove box. Yours could be different as it's a later model, but I'd expect the box to be in roughly the same place.

And it's definitely not normal to need to have the blower on for the windows to work (even though my mondy is an earlier model).

Ian.

Reply to
Ian McIntosh

[...]

Fuse is the same and in the same place, and it was blown. The wires are the same as described on the Mirez site but the one which should have been +ve with ign. didn't have any power and the one which was supposed to be always live was +ve with ign (until I blew the fuse :-) ).... the dud radio that was in the car was all burned up at the back so maybe the prev owner had tried to be too clever... The windows thing I can't fathom, but it works so I probably won't mess with it 'till I get a manual, Haynes have replied now that they are presently updating manual #3645 to include all models '93 - '00 but they won't start printing 'till they have run the stock of the present one, so I guess I'll just have to wait...

Thanks again for your help, James.

Reply to
James