98 Sable - Extra Speaker Hole in Rear Deck

My '98 Mercury Sable has a third hole in the rear deck exactly like the holes in which the rear left/right speakers are mounted. What is the purpose for this extra hole? Did they have an extra rear speaker should
one happen to order a premium sound system or something?
I'm looking to do some upgrades to my speakers and I might put that hole to use.
Thanks, Damaeus
Sounds like a subwoofer port.

In posted on Sun, 25 Apr 2004 02:06:19 GMT:

That's what I thought, but it's a 6x9 hole.
posted on Sun, 25 Apr

I don't know for sure, block it off and see if it's difficult to close the trunk lid.
Bill
Perhaps it's for one speaker in a base model radio setup.
That would have been good up to the recent years. I doubt any cars come with a single-speaker basic system any more. Basic FM stereo in the norm, so that would take at least two speakers. Maybe it's just for pressure equalization (expansion room) when closing either the trunk or the doors.
Who sez you can't find a good 6x9 woofer to throw in with an amp, anyway?!!

Re: 98 Sable - Extra Speaker Hole in Rear Deck Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Mon, Apr 26, 2004, 5:57am (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Jinxter)
That would have been good up to the recent years. I doubt any cars come with a single-speaker basic system any more. Basic FM stereo in the norm, so that would take at least two speakers.<<<<<<<<<<<
In the front yes, not necessarly in the back.
Maybe it's just for pressure equalization (expansion room) when closing either the trunk or the doors.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Uuuum it's a Ford not a Rolls Royce.
Eric
Good a guess as any... Just mount a bobble-head dog with blinking eyes on the deck and call it good...!
(Jinxter)