98 Sable - Jiggle on the Highway

After experiencing a vibrating sensation from the front of my '98 Sable when braking, I just replaced the rotors and pads this morning. The brake'n'shake (and we helped!) problem is now fixed.

However!!!

Before changing the discs and pads, I had been noticing that the front seemed to vibrate even when not applying the brakes. I assumed that the rotors were just so badly warped that the pads were being sideswiped every time the wheels turned. But now, after replacing the rotors, the vibration is still there?not when braking?just when coasting, maintaining speed, or accelerating. When I'm traveling in a straight line, the vibration is hardly noticeable. When I have to go around a curve in the highway, the vibration becomes very pronounced and I can hear a mild "fwapfwapfwapfwap" sound from the front.

So I jacked up the driver's side. I can't wiggle the wheel from top to bottom, but I can wiggle it from front to back. At the front edge of the tire, there's about 1/4" of slack in it. The wheel, spring, strut, and the heavy bolt at the top of the strut inside the engine compartment all move when I wiggle the wheel. Plus, there's a short bar attaching the strut to what appears to be the stabilizer bar. That short bar wiggles, too in relation to the wiggle of the wheel.

I tried the same thing on the passenger side. It's tight and there are no problems there.

What are your assumptions based on this? Ball joint? Tie rod ends? Defective cigarette lighter?

Thanks, Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

Sounds either like a bad wheel bearing.

Get it fixed. This will either cause your wheel to seize or fall off. Either one is not that good.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The wheel bearing on those are sealed and don't fail often. But anything is possible. Could be a bubble in a tire. Rotate them and see if the noise changes. Could also be a bad halfshaft. I would have a good front end shop check your tie rod ends and suspension parts. Many will give you a free look.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

In news:alt.autos.ford, BOB URZ posted on Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:39:53 -0500:

It was a worn tie rod end. $116.59 to replace and align the front end. There was some tire damage. I'll get that replaced soon.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus