98 Sable - Lurch Shift from 2 to 3, No Overdrive

My 98 Sable transmission has suddenly started behaving strangely. When moving from Park to Drive, it seems to go into gear kind of harshly. Then when shifting from first to second, it's normal. From second to third, it doesn't slam into gear, but it does lurch enough to wobble your head backward. Then, on the highway I have no overdrive. I was running about

2400 - 2500 RPM just at 45 miles an hour, and about 3100 RPM at 55 miles per hour. I drove home (38.5 miles) going only 40 miles an hour to keep the RPM's around 2100.

This all happened suddenly, too. It makes me think it's something electronic -- maybe a TPS or something. Have you ever heard of this?

Oh, one other thing ... I parked on an incline with the nose down. It wasn't a particularly steep incline, but fairly significant. When I went back to put it in gear, it was hard to get back into gear and there was a clunk noise. It's what I've come to expect from this car and so when I park on an incline, I normally leave the car in neutral and set the parking brake very firmly, but I didn't think about it since I normally only have the "clunk" problem when parking with the nose up.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

In news:alt.autos.ford, Damaeus posted on Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:33:55 GMT:

The Ford dealership I took it to has found the problem. They say it's the shift solenoid. $350 to replace it.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

In news:alt.autos.ford, Damaeus posted on Wed, 17 Nov 2004 06:43:21 GMT:

....Except it took the valve body with it, so that jacked the price up to $1,133. I just can't win.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus