98 Sable - Steering Wheel Jiggles when Braking

When braking in my '98 Sable, the steering wheel jiggles. My dad says I probably have warped rotors because I used "lifetime" brake pads which get the rotors a lot hotter than regular brake pads which are softer. I do trust his judgment most of the time since he ran his own garage for 20 years. But I thought high quality pads meant high quality braking.

I did the front brake job myself. New rotors, new pads, all bolts torqued to specs. When I first performed the brake job, the braking performance was flawless. Very smooth braking, all the way to a dead stop.

There have been a few times when I had to brake pretty hard. Seems like each time that happens, the steering wheel jiggle becomes more pronounced. It makes me nervous when braking at 50 miles per hour because the steering wheel jiggles the most at 45 miles per hour.

There's no jiggle when I'm not braking.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Damaeus

yep warped rotors

Reply to
Scott M

I had the same problem with the factory installed Firestones - tread separation! Put my beloved Goodyear Aquatred 3's on and viola! Problem gone!

Did the same to two different vehicles (Taurii) with the exact same result. Balancing may be off a little...??

Reply to
Jinxter